Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Today Jamie and Shannon's prompt for the blog-a-thon is the weather and so appropriate for my life today. We have 2-3 inches of snow on the ground and the temp is 0 out. We lost power at 5am. I thought I would just get up and go take a shower at the workout club we belong to. But the car is in the garage and the doors are run by electricity. So yes I am stuck at home. It doesn't happen often but its interesting when you can not do what you have planned to. We have a wood stove so we got a fire going. Sooner or later hunger hits. We got our camping coffeepot out and Dave made coffee on the stove, I wanted some hot chocolate so I heated up some water too. You can see both of the pots in the picture. Later I warmed up some banana bread in a small frying pan. The surface on top of the stove is made to cook on so we took advantage of that.
I spent part of the time reading a book and part addressing Christmas cards. It felt very homey and relaxing too. It amazing how many things I wanted to do that required electricity. Here is a short list. I won't mention how many times I turned on a light switch.
3. Sewing some xmas gifts
5. Phone was almost out of power. With no land line and my husband phone on low power too I started to feel a little isolated
The power came back on at noon, but I was so into what I was doing that I just continued doing it instead of jumping back into the world. It became a nice respite as soon as I let go of my plans and made the best of the situation. It was quite the gift actually. How did your day go?
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
It's now day 3 in the blog a thon I am doing with Jamie Ridler and company. Today we are doing a meme on color. Something is wrong with blogger today. Every picture I add it puts white lines through. Hopefully this will be fixed soon
Old Skool Colour Meme
[ RED ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of red? My Mother, she loved the color red a nd wore it often,
- Closest red thing to you? Spiral notebook with a red cover.
- What is the last thing that made you angry? When the restaurant where we holf our writers group, gave the room we had reserved to someone else
- Are you a fan of romance? Yes
- Do you have a temper? No
[ GREEN ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of green? “It’s not easy being green.”
- Closest green thing to you? A green post it with inspiring message "I am a writer I write Books"
- What’s your favorite green environment? A forest,
- Are you jealous of anyone right now? The people with great followings that can offer something and hundreds of people sign up.
- Are you a lucky person? I am not sure
[ PURPLE ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of purple? Some of my favorite purple clothes.
- Closest purple thing to you? a small stuffed animal, given to me as a gift during Nano.
- Do you like being treated like royalty? Yes, I like it when someone goes that extra mile to do something fort me.
- Do you like mysterious things? Like life? Yes,
- Are you intuitive? Yes
[ BLUE ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of blue? The sky.
- Closest blue thing to you? A pen, with a blue casing but black ink.
- Are you good at calming people down? I can be the calm in a storm.
- What’s your favorite body of water (i.e. lake, ocean, etc)? The Ocean hands down, I wish I lived closer to it.
- What was the last thing that made you cry? A TV show, DR.Who biopic on the actor who played the first Dr,
- Are you a logical thinker? Yes, I am very right brained but things do have to make sense for me to do them.
[ YELLOW ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of yellow? The Sun.
- Closest yellow thing to you? Yellow background in a memory painting I did at Total Alignment Retreat.
- What was one of the happiest times of your life? When my daughter was born. I know sounds cliche but its true. My life would have been so different without her.
- What’s your favourite holiday? Christmas
- What makes you happy? Creating something
[ PINK ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of pink? Barbie
- Closest pink thing to you? Pink POst it, I have them all over my office.
- What sweet things do you like? Chocolate, Cookies, Cheesecake, Cakes
- Are you sensitive? Yes,
- What is your favourite flower? I love the P's Pansy, Peonie, Poppy
- Does you have a crush on someone? no
[ ORANGE ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of orange? My friend Kate who loves the color.
- Closest orange thing to you? Handles or sewing scissors.
- Do you dress up for Halloween? sometimes, if I'v a party to go to.
- What gives you the warm fuzzies? KIndness
- What would your superpower be? Time Travel, I'd love to go back and talk to my mom and grnadmother.
[ BROWN ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of brown? boring, drab color
- Closest brown thing to you? The wood desk
- What is your favourite type of chocolate? Milka Toffee its from Germany, yummy.
- What makes you feel grounded? Walking in nature, trees and meditation/yoga
- Paint the wood or always leave it au naturel? Natural woods
[ WHITE ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of white? purity
- Closest white thing to you? White candle
- Do you always try to keep the peace? No, sometimes confrontation is needed to move forward. My mother always did this to the detriment of herself.
- Do you like to play in the snow? If I am dressed correctly.
- Are you afraid of going to the doctors or dentist? No
[ BLACK ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of black? Black pants.
- Closest black thing to you? 2 camera's to my left a head band to my right.
- Are you sophisticated or silly? Probably neither, I am sophisticated in some ways but silly in my outlook, I love to play.
- Do you have a lot of secrets? No
- What’s the new black? Self Care, It get talks about a lot but is so important,
Monday, December 2, 2013
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. Its a YA story about 2 teenage misfits in love, it is so charming. Then there's The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton, if you haven't read her go out and get a copy of The Forgotten Garden, its fabulous. Then I have a pile of new books to read that came out in November when there was no time for reading.
2. What are you watching?
I am loving the new series Sleepy Hollow, great writing, wonderful cast and eye candy too.
I am loving Spotify because I can listen to anything. I just signed up for a 2 month free trial so I don't get the ads now. I really like the instrumentals of - Jessica Stirling.
More free time, contemplating what comes next in my life. Enjoying those quiet moments.
Still in my Pj's Cranberry paisley pants and white t-shirt and crocs on my feet.
6. What are you creating?
Rolling out my Friday Night Art Club, planning a new website to combine Safe Harbor Coaching and The Queen of Creativity, sewing lots of Xmas gifts, making plans for finishing my novel in 2014.
Lots of self care, to enjoy the holidays in new and simple ways.
To sign up for this challenge, its never too late, go to here
Its time for my month article focusing on creativity. This is also posted in my newsletter.You get these if you subscribe to my newsletter but I like to include them here for any new visitors to my blog.
Reflections On A Busy Month
This past November I had a lot of activities going on. Usually in November I participate in The National Novel Writing Month. Now that activity is enough for a normal person but for me I had several other things going.
When I signed up for Connie Hozvicka’s Workshops, Creative Circles & Retreats it was going to be a handbook. So I didn’t expect it to impact November at all. Well she changed it and it turned into 4 conference calls. So there went that plan.
Then a couple months ago I signed up for Pauline Agnew’s course Draw and Paint What You Love. It started in October and I knew it would impact November but I knew the course would be up there awhile so I had some leeway.
Then at the last minute I decided to sign up for Art Every Day Month. I knew I would not be able to give up working in my art journal all month, so I thought I would do what I could do. I gave myself permission to participate fully or as little as I wanted to with no pressure.
So how did I manage it all?
The Creative circles course was all recorded so I downloaded the content to listen to later. I printed off all the PDF’s and created a file for them and put them all away. I plan to listen later.
The Art class worked in conjunction with Art Every Day Month. Often my art for the day was what I had made for my class assignments. Its great when you can do double duty. We had a Facebook group for our class assignments and first I would post there and then I would do a short blog post, uploaded it to Creative Every Day and I was finished. It made it easy. I even threw in different creative days like weaving or knitting. It really was an easy process for me.
Most of my writing was done at night. We had scheduled Google+ Hangouts with my writing group so that was easily accomplished.
I think my success this month was structure. I had a structure in place that made it easy to accomplish all the tasks I needed to do. As a creative person I usually resist schedules and structure. I think this time my structure was fluid so it worked for me. So if you are a person who doesn't like structure you might give it try one more time.
Sunday, December 1, 2013
I signed up to take part in Jamie Ridler's Kickin it old skool blog-a-thon. She gives prompts and then we do them. Today's is all about and posting a selfie so here is one from a few years ago.
I'll be posting these prompts daily. Head on over to the blog for this challenge here