Friday, January 10, 2014

Working On Re- Entry

I always seem to have trouble with re-entry after a trip but this time its been especially hard. On Christmas Eve we learned that our sweet niece Britney lost her battle with brain cancer. She was only 21, engaged and planning a wonderful life.  Its so sad.




















On Christmas morning we packed the truck and headed out on our 1800 mile journey across the country. You know when you travel on Christmas Day nothing is open. I was happy we had brought a cooler with a few things. Christmas dinner was yogurt, cheese and crackers and Apple pie. The roads were good going out the trip is just long.

















Amidst all the sadness there was new life to celebrate.  My sister-in-law Sue with daughter Leslie and Leslie's son Cody.  We spent a few days with family in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and then headed to lower Michigan to visit my sister, brother and cousin.




















Here is a view going across the Mackinaw Bridge, it connects both parts of Michigan together. It was wind and cold, this bridge is 5 miles long and not my favorite bridge in the world. As you can see there was very little traffic that day.

















This is a view of all the ice on the lake. I got a very frozen tundra like feeling looking out the window.
















This is my sister Peggy with her two boys Casey and Jamie.  They are all grown up now. The last time I saw them they were little boys, how time flies.

















This is me with my favorite cousin Norah, and my sister Peggy and brother Tom. It was so great to reconnect with family.  It had been a really long time. I always feel closer to my mom when I am with Norah. I learned a few new things this time.  It was fun reminiscing with her, she is such a joy in my life.




















I didn't do much art on the trip but here are a couple pages. I call them Light unfolding. I needed to see some light amongst all the sadness.



















They were both created with Faber-Castel Gelatos.
Just layers of color smeared together. Its a favorite way for me to use this medium.



















In addition to the gelatos I had brought my Koi Watercolor traveling set. I drew this in pencil first and then just added the color. This piece has a lot of light coming through too.


4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for the loss of your young niece, Kate. How horribly sad. The connection and closeness to family is what gets us all through these sad sad times.
    Sending you love and light and hoping that the New Year brings happier, creative times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am sorry for the loss of Britney, Kate. I too, like Kim, hope that the New Year brings many blessings for you and your family. I'm glad that you got to see many of your relatives on your break. xoO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sad post, and I only found your blog yesterday. I can only hope for happiness in the memory of the lovely young lady and hope for your whole extended family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, I'm so sorry for your loss. I have had two cousins die of brain cancer. Your niece was beautiful and so young. Connecting with family that you don't often see is always good even if it is at a sad time.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.