Monday, September 15, 2014

When Your Art Looks UGLY

I was playing with some spray ink and really overdid all the colors and use of stencils and I really didn't like it. All I could think is what am I going to do with this background. Nothing came to me besides cover it up with collage. But what a waste that seemed of the ink. So I went online for inspiration but no one posts their ugly pages.  I wish I had taken a picture of it so you could see what I mean.





















So what did I do get to this portrait.  First I put some gesso on the page.  The ink always comes through gesso but I thought it could tone down the intense bright colors. So then I decided to paint a face and see what came next. I started with pencil and then marker. Then I painted the background pink several times but if you look close you can see the stencils underneath the color. Then I did the dress, and of course now I like this piece so much more.  So what do you do when you feel what you have created is ugly.  Just push on through, jump out of the box, try something new. Once I was ready to let go of my initial ideas, and be open to what it could be, then things began to flow again.

So what do you do when you don't like what you created?  Do you have a process you go through?Tell me in the comments.



2 comments:

  1. Oooh I LOVE the background - I'm so glad the pink didn't cover the stencils - it creates a really pretty effect. I'm so new to this I only have 2 (almost) completed spreads to my name, but I have been at that stage of not liking something I'm doing already. I was painting a portrait that was supposed to depict me (although a self-portrait wasn't required, it was supposed to be us whatever it looked like). I loved my girl - how she came out, but when I did the background - oh boy! I had swatches of thick colours like a rainbow, which dried so fast I couldn't blend them together (of course I realise it's only because I'm new to acrylics and perhaps need to invest in some of that stuff that extends drying time - not sure if they have it here where I live though) - so I just got a load of white acrylic paint and brayered over the whole background. Then I went on Youtube and found a tutorial by a lovely lady called Cat Hand, and painted the gorgeous coloured circles she showed us how to do. Now I love my spread. I've even posted it in my photo album on Facebook! So to sum up, I turn to Youtube. It's a wonderful source of inspiration and ideas! Thanks for sharing your lovely portrait. It's actually very heartening to newbies like myself to know that even artists who have been painting for some time have "ugly" days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you did with this piece. When I make something I don't like I usually set it aside for a while, then later look at it again with a fresh perspective. Sometimes it isn't as bad as I first thought but sometimes it is. I don't have a problem with painting over things or trying any other ideas to change the look.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.