Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Between Shades of Gray

Between Shades of GrayBetween Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I found out about this book on Beth Revis's blog when she interviewed the author and I was intrigued. It takes place in 1941 when Stalin had his reign of terror.  The characters are a family from Lithuania who are deported to Siberia.

I read this book in one day so at first that says something. Second this is a pretty depressing subject but the author Rita Sepetys sets a perfect tone.  She grabbed my attention from the first sentence and never let go.  No matter how awful the circumstance I was enthralled.  I really cared about these people on one hand and the other was appalled that human beings could such horrible things to each other. As I thought about it has happened many times over our history. I still when will humanity learn. Being an artist myself I was enthralled with the drawings Lina made and would love to have seen some included with the book. I also liked the upbeat message in the ending.  This was also a period in history I knew so little about. I am so glad that the author wrote it.  These kinds of books need to be written.  I highly recommend it.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.