Monday, May 2, 2011

Reflections and some journal pages

Its hard to go about my day without thinking about last nights events. Two things online stood out for me. One on Facebook from Marianne Williamson. "I hope Bin Laden's death brings a sense of justice to those who lost loved ones on 9/11, and I'm grateful to those in our military etc. who worked so hard to find him. I hope whatever destructive influence he still had is now ended. That being said, however, the celebrations outside the White House seem naive to me. Tonight is a night for sober and mature reflection, not glee." ~Marianne Williamson

The other on twitter "I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." - Mark Twain. This is how I felt when I heard the news; not really happy that someone had died but on the other the man had caused a lot of death and destruction. So perhaps his ending will be a beginning for a more peaceful and understanding world.

The little break I took was mainly because I had a lot of work and loose ends to tie up for my classes and a newsletter to write and blogging on top of it all seemed too much. It was a good move on my part as I needed the space. I managed to get the work done, do a little reading and some weaving too.



















I did not do that much art but a here are a few pages in my journal. I started with the tape at the top and then just added papers and image.  Very simple but pleasing to play with.



















This one started with the K tape on the bottom and then I just played with papers.  I embellished the crown with brush markers.



















This page started with scraps of embossed wallpaper which I painted and stamped over.  Then I added other papers and the image. The image was the only thing I could really write on, so I did.

Today I think that Spring finally arrived. I drove around with the sun roof opened and the windows down. With the wind whipping through my hair it felt wonderful.  Ahh  Spring at last...

7 comments:

  1. Yay spring! I LOVE everything you posted about last nights events. I feel exactly the same way. Also, I wanted to tell you that I loved your newsletter. I checked out each and every link you posted and found something I needed in each one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're okay, Kate and just busy with the class. I like how both the Marianne Williamson quote and the Mark Twain quote strike a balance. I do like your pages, xoO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the Bin Laden thing - felt the same way when Timothy McVay was executed (for the Oklahoma City bombing). I remember seeing children with sparklers and wondering what message we were sending to the next generation. I'm all for justice being served, but celebration in the face of death (whatever the reason for the death) seems somehow callous to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is hard to step away from the last few hours, death does not become us as a nation, but the head of the snake has been cut off, lets all pray that with each coming day we understand that we cannot let men like this one, stay in a place where he can rule men that will hurt us. Let us hope that somehow we are better with this action. Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You summed up my feelings about Bin Laden. And evil man is no longer able to hurt anyone.

    Love the journal pages! The one with the "K" tape is my favorite. And I agree with Jolene's comment about the newsletter....great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the statements you quoted. And the hjournal pages are simply amazing! Gorgeous papers.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.