Monday, June 6, 2011

Blogging as a Spiritual Practice

I started doing Morning Pages again.  You know the three pages of writing daily talked about by Julia Cameron in the book The Artists Way. They have been a constant companion in my life.  Sometimes I end up doing them for a couple years and then I stop.  Not sure why I stop, because I see them as a powerful tool, they also help me set things in order and accomplish more of what I want.  I am not sure if the downtime from them is part of the process or not.  I just know in times of flux or when I just feel something is off morning pages bring me back to my true self.

During today's morning page writing, I started thinking about blog posts I might want to write. Often I go through a period where I have some great subjects and I may write several posts in the same day and just schedule them to appear on different days. Its an efficient way to blog but not usually how I end up doing it.  Often its a daily thing I think oh what shall I blog about and something comes to mind and I just go with it.  Or it will be about the art I did that morning or the day before. The more I pondered on this I came up with this posts title.

Blogging is like a daily spiritual practice. If its something you do daily or almost daily I think that qualifies, and then its something that takes you inside yourself. You may show art or photographs or events in your life.  It always follows some kind of introspection. You think about events and how the people who read your post will like them.  Even when showing a journal page you may go inside yourself and explain just what you were thinking at the time. Or you will pick a subject and just write how it makes you feel or has changed your world.

Sometimes blogging can feel like a chore too. Like it is one more thing on your list of to do's. Now if you think of it as a spiritual practice it takes on a whole different flavor doesn't it.  Its more like your gift to the world, a little piece of yourself.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful thought, Kate!

    I also do morning pages but not all the time. I use them much the same way that you do. And they do make a difference.

    Now I'm off to think about what I can blog about today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you...
    Lovely post, very well written! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautifuly written, Kate. I agree with you, too. I have the same process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i couldn't agree with you more - blogging, writing,art making are all spiritual practices -i think it is how we go about doing these things that make them a spiritual practice or not - great post.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.