Friday, December 5, 2014

Making Containers For Wisdom

I gain wisdom to live my life in many ways and from many sources. One of these ways is in using oracle cards. They usually come in these big heavy boxes. In the past for tarot decks I have found nice bags to store the cards in. I like the feel of the fabric and it tends to make the cards important when they have their own container that you have chosen. Over the past year I bought some new decks but hadn't gotten bags for them.





















This bag I made right before I went to Ireland. I was trying to make a little purse but it didn't turn out the way I liked so off into a drawer it went. I found it the other day and I thought it would be perfect for a oracle card container. Its fabric left over from some handspun handwoven towels that I made earlier this year.





















This bag was made from some silk fabric I wove years ago. I have  never figured out what to do with the fabric and this was a perfect choice. This fabric is so soft.





















There are so many colors in the fabric, you can see some of that here in this close up.  The warp was handpainted and the colors change throughout it.





















This last one is a remnant from some dishtowels that I wove earlier this year.  It is very thick in compared to the silk one. Its very soft and has a real body feel about it.

Creating these bags for my cards was such a rewarding thing.  There is so much of me into the making of these fabrics and that now intermingles with the cards that I end up using for guidance. Its like I am making them my own.  Now you don't have to be a weaver to do this yourself.  I believe picking your own fabrics or bags that are called to you can have the same effect.

Why not give this a try and see how you like it.  Using natural fabrics its best, wool, cotton, silk, hemp are all good choices.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.