Monday, March 2, 2015

Shaving Cream and Spray Inks



















In my Mandala magic course this month with Julie Gibbons, we made Mandalas with shaving cream. I had heard about this technique in another class but never tried it for some odd reason. It is messy but fun. In just minutes, you get some amazing backgrounds.

Supplies needed

*a paper plate,
*shaving cream, can't be gel. I bought the cheapest no brand shaving cream
* card stock or watercolor paper, I preferred the water color paper.
*spray inks, I used Dylusions brand.
Its messy have lots of paper towels to clean up.
















I placed some paper towels on a tray and then put the plate on there. Spray Ink can travel far so make sure to cover your work surface. Cover with shaving cream and smooth it with a ruler or piece of wood.


















Spray the ink on plate, use as many colors as you like.




















Take a chopstick or a pencil and swirl the colors together. Put you paper on top and tap it so it connects with the foam and then draw towards you.  The ink will transfer to the paper.  Then wipe off the shaving cream.


Admire your work.  Add more ink and do the same for more prints.  You may need to add more shaving cream at some point.  Play and have fun.




































I think this one looks like Jupiter.



















Each one is different and so much fun to play with.  You don't have to do these as circles either. I made the Jupiter on a full sheet of paper and then cut it into the circle shape.

7 comments:

  1. I've see this process, though I've never tried it. Just the prospect of making a mess sounds like great fun ~ no matter the outcome/s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done something similar with food coloring. Try using a stencil between the inked shaving cream and paper for another effect! Be careful scraping off the shaving cream if you want the stencil effect to be neat though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done something similar with food coloring. Try using a stencil between the inked shaving cream and paper for another effect! Be careful scraping off the shaving cream if you want the stencil effect to be neat though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun...and I like your results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting technique. In this last one, I can see an underwater scene, with dolphins swimming around, shells laying on the bottom, and various colorful underwater fan coral and foliage. Nice work. I like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting technique. In this last one, I can see an underwater scene, with dolphins swimming around, shells laying on the bottom, and various colorful underwater fan coral and foliage. Nice work. I like!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.