Monday, July 8, 2013

Making A New Journal




















Its been several years since I made my own journal.  Having been frustrated using Canson's Mixed Media journals with wet media I decided it was time for more control. I had ordered some Fabriano hot press watercolor paper last fall. So it took awhile before I used it.  I made the journal with canvas boards as covers.  The front is covered with painted paper using my favorite colors of blue, turquoise and purple. This paper was made on a gelli plate.




















For the back I used embossed wallpaper.  I painted it first and then picked up some leftover paint on the gelli plate to add additional color.  





















The spine is a piece of canvas I painted to be darker than the rest.  I used Golden fluid acrylics for all the painting.  I added cat beads to decorate the spine. What a challenge and pleasure it was to make this.  I kept making silly mistakes.   Its going to be great to work in. The instructions to make this journal are from Teesha Moore, it used to be on her website but I couldn't find it there, luckily a friend had a copy.  I also am really loving the Japanese Screw Punch I got for a gift back in December.  They are really pricey but if you are going to do any book making so worth it. Punching the holes is so easy.





















Do you have any summer reads that you have been lost in. I am loving the world I have fallen into with Neil Gaiman's new book. Tell me in the comments what you've been reading.

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful journal! I do love that color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great new journal! Using the Fabriano paper will be a treat !
    Have the new Gaiman book on my wishlist. Just listened to the Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield which I like, and began reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey which is intriguing me right off the bat.
    Happy Summer time entertainment, Kate 1

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.