Friday, July 12, 2013

The Three Guardians - A Painting Journey

I decided to take a break from Link Love this week.  So today I am participating in Paint Party Friday. Check out all the artists who are participating here.


Many months ago I took a Canvas Create class with Donna Downey. The painting was of a lotus and in the style of Flora Bowley. I didn't try to paint what Donna did but followed my own path.

















This was my first layer using cool colors.  It is just paint and was painted with my fingers.
















The second layer had some stamping and spray inks. Images started to appear to me so I pulled them out of the background. I saw the one figure on the left so I started with her and added the others in.
















I added warm colors in the background and worked on three figures. I wanted them to be faceless. They slowly began to take shape.

















They could be sisters but I started calling them the guardians. It wasn't till I started painting the details like the tree that I began to use a brush.  Painting with your fingers can really be liberating.



















I continued to add things to their clothing. My beloved raven had to show up. I kept thinking that the painting seemed to lack something. I asked a few people and got many ideas.  I thought there was a tree on the left side. So I decided to bring that out.

















Here is the final version. I put them in a night time forest.  I think each of them has special gifts to offer the world.  I hope you enjoyed seeing how this painting evolved.

19 comments:

  1. Very pretty pieces. Love the color combos and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing the evolution! Isn't it wonderful to let your artist spirit run free?
    Happy Friday, lovely Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous colours and effects, and liked seeing how you did it! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. terrific results and can see the influences. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful and it was so interesting to see the steps and how they emerged.
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, this is really beautiful. I loved watching the process and see the final product. The guardian on the right seems to jump out at me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work. Loved the results. Happy PPF!
    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the creative journey this took you on-beautiful painting! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice process that you moved through with your painting, yes, the feel like guardians to me too. xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, beautiful colors. Love the process!
    Happy PPF, have a great weekend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful painting. Thank you for sharing the progress pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your process Kate..very pretty work!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful painting ! Thanks for the process shots, so interesting to see a painting evolve!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting piece, loved seeing the progression. HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous colors and a fascinating process. I am just learning about intuitive art. I have always had a reference and a plan. This looks like way more fun! Thank you for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your process. The end result is beyond beautiful...I love this painting so much. It would also make some wonderful greeting cards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a wonderful post. I love the three sisters. There is so much depth and spiritualism.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always love seeing paintings as they become what they are supposed to be!

    This is very evocative painting. I want to know what they are looking at, what they are thinking...

    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.