Monday, June 23, 2014

On The Road Again Or Maybe On the Sea Again.

Yesterday was a very long day.  Donna took me to the train station, so I could pick up the 10:10 train to Holyhead.  I needed to make a change at Shrewesbury.   I met a lovely couple from York, who thought my accent was pretty neat.  That seemed strange, that someone wanted me to talk to hear my accent.  When I  got to Shrewesbury, I missed my connection by seconds, literally seconds.  So I had to wait another hour to get the next train and was it ever packed. I got to Holyhead with only 45 minutes to wait.  The ride was a little bit more choppy than the way out had been but I just drew in my notebook the whole time.

I'm back at the Maple Hotel in Dublin again, its nice to be in a familiar place.  Today I decided I want to find a gift for Dave plus I thought I would go here.



So I headed to the TI to find out how to get there.  Turned out it was just a 15 minute walk.  Of course I am always open to a diversion and I found a sign for this place and set about looking for it.


I thought now this is the kind of place to see in Ireland for sure. Another diversion pulled me from this task, a park bench to eat a fresh croissant for my breakfast.  After a little break I arrived at the museum just as a tour was about to begin.  Amazing that I had timed that perfectly.


After being told very charming tales from the Irish tradition we were miniaturized so we could travel in the world like leprechauns do.  Only the very young attempted to get on the very big furniture so I shot photos of them.


I learned later that this guy was from Logan Utah.  


I also, learned that leprechauns did not look the way you think they do until Walt Disney came and filmed Darbey o'Gill and the little people, in 1959.  Originally leprechauns wore little brown coats and a red hat.  Disney thought that was not colorful enough for his movie so he put the character all in green and gave him red hair.  



We even got to travel to the end of the rainbow and find a pot of gold.


 And I got to meet my very own leprechaun.  It was a fun museum and I loved the stories.  I discovered a few other things in my walking around town.  


This matey was obliging in letting me take his photo even though I didn't go into the restaurant being allergic to fish and all,he understood and took a pose for me.  What a nice guy.


When the bat signal appeared in the sky I wondered what kind of evil doing was going on in Dublin City.  I was safe though so the man in a black cape must have saved the day.


 I liked this golden sphere sculpture so you get to see it to.


I didn't know what would be I. This shop, but went in just for you Sarah, and it just had clothing.


Eventually I found my way here but it was sort of anti-climatic as it doesn't look much like a castle.


I guess I like the ruined ones the best.


I saw a couple of these guys and they are really short.


They didn't have much to say.  Here are a bunch of shots from the area.








Tomorrow I am taking a tour to Wicklow and Glenadough, which should have some spectacular scenery to share. Scenes from P.S. I love You, Braveheart and Ballykissangel were filmed in the area.























2 comments:

  1. The short armour was for the leprechauns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm catching up...I like all the pics from the castle ruins, and the doorways. You're finding all sorts of fun things to do. The leprechaun museum and the suits of armor (love that comment above about them!)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.