Friday, September 3, 2010

Painting on Black

My friend Janet just did a couple ladies painted on black after seeing Pam Carriker's article in the latest Art Journaling magazine.  I had seen the article too but I had just not tried it yet.  Thanks for the nudge Janet.














I started by painted the page with black gesso and drew a face over it.  The dress is scrapbook paper with a wash of golden's quinacridone crimson on top.  The paper was too white and the wash made it just right.














This one I used paper for the dress again. In the background I used paynes grey and some white gesso.  I kept the black gesso for the hair but added carbon black and some watercolor crayons for highlights. I found it really interesting starting with a black background. If you need a change of pace give it a try.

Over the last couple of years I have taken quite a few classes and for some of them I either bought the videos or still have access to them.  I have been watching them again and getting new insights.  If you have not taking classes like me then there is a world of great videos on YouTube.  Just do a search on your topic and you will be amazed at what you will find.

6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using paper as the clothing. I was just telling some friends last night that I can't do people...seeing these makes me really want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these two girls....using the black underneath just seems to add depth to the paintings. I have two more planned but just no time to get busy on them. Maybe tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam these are so lovely. I have not had much luck with Gesso... I guess I need more practice. Thanks for sharing your lovely ladies! Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Youre so right about youtube and watching classes! they are great. I do like the way youve done the dress with paper - great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely women, fun to read your process...always learning new things. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.