Friday, December 13, 2013

Kickin It Old Skool Blog-A-Thon - A First - My Dog Flynn

Today for the Kickin It Old Skool Blog-a-Thon we've been asked to share our firsts, A first in anything. It took me awhile to come up with something. I'd like to talk about my first dog, the first dog that was truly mine, not a family dog, but mine. He was my Mother's Day Gift Fourteen Years ago.
















Who couldn't love a face like this.  I trained him, ran and walked with him, shared a life with him and miss him so much today.  We had to put him down earlier this year and my life has been less since then.














We took walks in snow and rain, and I felt such a bond, a companionship.  Some days when I walk I like to think he is still there with me. I miss the hugs, the slobbery kisses, the walks, the connection. This year, as I drove around town Christmas shopping I realized that I won't be buying a dog treat this holiday, it brought the sadness and loss back to me.














People always ask "Are you going to get another dog?" I usually say yes, but it hasn't been an immediate thing. I am still mourning Flynn, although I miss having a dog, I haven't had that desire to have a new companion now. I think sometime next year I'll be ready. Time will have passed and I will have honored this relationship that was so dear to me. Right now I like to think he is off in some field herding up some sheep and having a great time.

7 comments:

  1. This is one of the reasons we don't have a pet. We would both become too attached to him/her and the loss would be devastating. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so dear to us ! Sending love to your tender, Flynn-missing heart !

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah Flynn... what a beautiful tribute. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a dog , loving a dog, losing a dog. So bittersweet.
    Our first dog Niki is the reason why we have rescued so many. Dogs teach us things humans could never teach us.
    I am so sorry for your loss and I do understand the pain of letting go.
    Flynn's love will be with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes, so beautiful! I have not been without a dog in my life since I was born, and could not imagine my life without the incredible joy and love they bring to me! i hope you will know when the time is right for you to again open your heart and home to another furbaby. Thank you for sharing Flynn with us, he is beautiful. ~xo~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flynn looks beautiful and fun! Dogs are such true friends, and it sounds like Flynn had a great friend in you, too. Thanks so much for sharing his photos and your stories of him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss, Kate. Flynn sounds like such a beautiful part of your life. Clearly you shared a very special connection.

    I wrote about my first cat and how I still miss her so deeply. Thankfully our hearts are able to love again but our loves are not replaceable.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.