Friday, February 25, 2011

A Few of My Own Birds



















After posting Zorana's bird video (see previous post)I thought I would try some of my own.  I have done birds before but usually just one on a page. I sketched these in pencil on watercolor paper. I decided to paint them in watercolor paint, because I want to start using watercolors more.  I added feathers and such with a micron pigma 03 pen.  I then cut them out and glued them into my sketchbook and added some lettering.  I filled the letters in with faber-castell brush pens.  It was lots of fun to play with.

Have you painted birds before? Why not give it a try.  If you don't think you can draw a bird, here is little trick. Find a bird image either in a bird book or online.  Copy or print the image on computer paper.  Place some tracing paper on the copy and trace the bird and then cut it out. Put your tracing paper image on your paper or sketchbook and trace around it.  Now you have a bird shape you can paint.  The fun thing is you can paint your bird in any colors you want. Add a crown if you want, put clothes on it if you want, give it striped legs, there are plenty of fun things you can do, so go explore the idea and let me know if you do.

5 comments:

  1. I like the bird with the striped legs. :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine you with a backyard full of these colorful creatures! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love these beautiful birds! they are one of my favorite subjects but i haven't drawn any for awhile. thanks for the inspiration - i may have to do a few this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are all fantastic. I love little birds and have a few some friends sent me that are flying around my vision wall.

    Ps. I'd love for you to take a look at this:
    http://acommunityartproject.blogspot.com/2011/02/project.html

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.