Monday, February 21, 2011

Using what you have



















One of the things we are doing at the Queen of Creativity Castle is a challenge to use supplies that we rarely use. Sometimes this is because of habit and other times its because we just forget about them because they are put away and we forget we have them. In this piece I wanted to use my inktense pencils. I drew random circles and then squares or rectangles. I added water with a brush to bring out the color. I just love these pencils, I do not know why I don't use them more often. Then I added pastels to the background.  I doodled on some and outlined them all in charcoal. This was a little nonsensical but a fun page to do.



















I haven't painted a face in this journal for awhile, was I ever out of practice. I really hate that its so much harder for me to paint a face than it is to draw a face. I think I painted over this one 4 or 5 times and then finally gave up thinking I will never be satisfied.  On this one I used reinkers to paint the dress and the hair. They are those bottles of ink that you use to re ink a stamp pad. They are fun to use along with paint in a background.

Here is an awesome video by Katie Kendrik

Have an artful Day!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh-what a great idea. I LOVE the top image-the color, the patterns-YUM! I'm inspired.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I use the same supplies most of the time and others sit on the shelf. Great idea to use something different now and then.

    We have the same problem with faces....I love to draw them but when it comes to paint I get nervous. I think we just have to practice more often until it becomes easier for us.

    LOVE that video!! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The squares and circles make a very nice composition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to use mediums you don't normally use. Nice work!

    Btw, thank you for your prayers re. the Christchurch earthquake I posted on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like Janet I tend to use the same things over and over...my least used things are the Pan Pastels I bought over a year ago...used them once or twice. I like your circle and square composition and use of mediums.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.