Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Babies are like Dreams









image by dorina dubceac


 I had a dream last night.  In this dream I had a baby. I went through labor and delivery and also saw the baby come out of me.  She was a beautiful baby girl.  Then the attendants took the baby and put her on the counter on the other side of the room.  Then they all left. Being week from birth I couldn't get up to go to the baby.  I called but no one came. It was up to me. I finally managed to get up and go to the baby and hold it and nurture it and love it.

Then I had another dream.  In this dream I am trying to analyze the baby dream.  What I decide in the dream is that the baby is one of my creative dreams.  I have set it on a table and left it to flounder on its own. This got me to thinking about my dreams and how I put things off all the time.  I may have a busy few days and think oh I will do some filming on say Thursday when I have few commitments but then Thursday comes and I find some way to not work on it. It may be fear of doing it right, or fear of not being good enough or any number of the other thousands of things we mistakenly tell ourselves.

So you can think of an abandoned baby as abandoned dreams. Babies and dreams need so much care.  That book is never going to be written if you only work on it one day a week. The class you are developing will lose its momentum if you don't just face your fears and work on it. Or even someone else will come out with what you were planning to do but just never got the nerve to do it. That happened to me.  I was going to write a mystery with knitting as the setting and no I didn't do it.  Now there are dozens of books out there like that.  I missed my chance. The Universe gives you ideas and you really do need to act on them.  If you don't someone else will.

Do you have dreams that you start and then let slide.  You lose so much by having to start again.  You never really can just pick up where you left off.  There is momentum and excitement involved and often you have to recreate that again and again.  The result is you waste a lot of time going forward and back. Maybe its time to pick up that dream and focus all your attention on it.  You would do that with a baby.  Now do it with those dreams you've been harboring.

Today my intention is to face those fears, pick up that dream and go for it.

5 comments:

  1. That is a great metaphor, Kate. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post Kate! I will definitely look at my creative dreams in a new light. There are a few I've been putting off for way too long.
    Hugs,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great interpretation of dreams. I agree with you that we should act on our dreams but I also believe that you need to be ready and not push it. And everything happens for a reason. Maybe you missed out on your book chance but you never know what else might come of it now. You might think of an idea even more excellent than the previous one. Don't look back with regret just keep on going. And dreaming. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there are really "missed" chances when it comes to making your dreams come true. There is room for it all, for all of us. It is just a matter of focus and also our own inner timing.
    I hope your dream amking strength goes into over-drive for you soon, Kate !
    Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting dream and analysis. Giving birth to a dream is very much like giving birth to an other soul. The time it takes, the constant attention to its welfare. Perhaps there are some missed opportunities, but I prefer to think of them as stepping stones as I move forward.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.